Becta ICT Technicians See work under Competences, Job Descriptions and Support Analysis Tool in the menu on the left.
Becta Personal Competences Matrix Click on Leadership and Management, then Personal Computer Competences 04.
DfES Practical Support Pack See various modules in Y7-Y9.
Naace See under Who's Who.
SRF/ICT Mark This area of Becta's website is still under development, but contact details of accredited assessors are available.
Teacher Resource Exchange (TRE) This link should bring up a list of the resources I have created, but you will also find my "moderator" comments on a number of other resources.
The TRE homepage is here
Neil Adam has worked as an independent ICT consultant since 1994. Previously he gained a degree in Geography and a PGCE, taught maths for three years in Leicester and ICT for four years in Hinckley, Leicestershire.
In 1991 he started work for the Hinckley Development Group, a mixed group of 27 schools in Southwest Leicestershire, as "ICT Coordinator". Initially he had responsibility for supporting administrative systems and then supported the whole range of teachers and support staff.
In 1994 he took the opportunity to work as a self-employed, part-time consultant in Leicestershire.
Subsequently he became a full-time ICT consultant, undertaking a range of contracts with schools and national bodies.
The story of Beacon ICT really begins in 1999 when Neil moved to Broadstairs to marry his wife, Sue. At this time he was trading as IT Services, but had been intending to create a more modern image for some time! This came about in the summer of 2005 with the decision to launch Beacon ICT. This reflects his transition from a more "techie" background to a support role in all aspects of classroom ICT.
Neil's past work has included:
- CPD for classroom teachers and school managers
- Classroom practise (the infamous "NOF" programme)
- Software skills (ECDL)
- Specialist equipment (Intel QX3 microscope)
- Specific software (such as MAPS-ICT on behalf of Tag Learning)
- ICT Mark
- Writing case study materials for Becta
- Technical Support in ICT Test Bed clusters
- Training for ICT technicians
- Management Information Systems
- Writing training materials for teachers and other school staff
- 5 KS3 ICT modules for the DfES's "ESTUICT" programme (through Indigo/3T), forming the basis for ICT modules in the DfES Practical Support Pack
- 2 Certificate in Information and Communication Technology for Education and Training modules for ICAA
- Criteria for Becta's ICT Technicians' Competences Framework and related tools
- Criteria for Becta's Personal Computer Competences Matrix
- Moderation for the Teacher Resource Exchange (TRE)
- Representation on the various Naace committees
- Business Manager (part-time) for Naace from 1997 to 2000